*DATASET-NAME: CTD station data collected in the Eastern Mediterranean Sea during the P.O.E.M.-BC program (Phase 2) from 1990 to 1995
*TIME-PERIOD: from 1990 to 1995 (Phase 2)
*GEOGRAPHIC-COVERAGE: Grid of CTD stations with a step of 1/2 degree both in longitude and in latitude, covering the following areas: Sicily Channel, Ionian Sea, Southern Adriatic and Levantine Basin. In some zones the grid step has a finer resolution.
*PROJECT: POEM-BC, Physical Oceanography of Eastern Mediterranean-Biology and Chemistry, sponsored by UNESCO, IOC, and national agencies, participating research institutions from Cyprus, Germany, Greece, Israel, Italy, Turkey, USA and former Yugoslavia.
*PARAMETERS: physical base-parameters (pressure, temperature, salinity, Secchi depth) as well as basic air-sea interface parameters.
*INSTRUMENTS: CTD Neil Brown Mark IIIB, CTD Sea-Bird, Secchi disc, reversing thermometer, reversing bottle and bench salinometer for sampling and calibration.
*SUMMARY: In 1990, the former POEM evolved into POEM-BC (Biology and Chemistry) a fully interdisciplinary programme, with the major overall objective of establishing the phenomenology of the 90s, the reassessment of the physical properties in combination with chemical and biological properties. Finally, in 1995 a process study concerned the different phases of LIW formation, the most important water mass of the Mediterranean Sea.
The original CTD data were controlled, analysed and worked up by the originator who holds the principal quality control responsibility. Nevertheless before the data sets have been considered as part of the pooled database it has been submitted to a pre-processing procedure and intercalibration.
The high resolution data of each station were averaged over 1 dbar pressure interval. The salinity has been computed according to the practical salinity scale of 1978. The data are stored as depth series per station, per cruise and ship (institution).
The CTD stations were occupied during two cruises, internationally co-ordinated, covering different areas of the Eastern Mediterranean. The first basin-wide quasi-synoptic multi-ship survey was conducted in October 1991. The second multi-ship experiment, covering the different phases of LIW formation, was conducted from January to April 1995. Other data sets concern the cruises performed in April 1992, August 1993 by Italian institutions The data sets comprise about 600 CTD vertical profiles and include data supplied by the following participating research institutions:
- Israel Oceanographic and Limnological Research, Haifa (ISRAEL)
- Institute of Marine Sciences (METU), Erdemli (TURKEY)
- National Center for Marine Research, Athens (GREECE)
- Osservatorio Geofisico Sperimentale, Trieste (ITALY)
- Istituto Ricerche Pesca Marittima, Ancona (ITALY)
- Dipartimento di Fisica dell'Universita', Roma (ITALY)
- Istituto Universitario Navale, Napoli (ITALY)
- Institute of Oceanography and Fisheries, Split (CROATIA)
- Ministry of Agriculture - Fisheries Department, Nicosia (CYPRUS)
.1) Malanotte-Rizzoli, P., Manca B.B., Ribera d'Alcalą M., Theocharis A., Brenner S., Budillon G., Ozsoy E., 1999. The Eastern Mediterranean in the 80s and in the 90s: The big transition in the intermediate and deep circulations. Dyn. Of Atmospheres and Oceans, 29, 365-395.
2) Malanotte-Rizzoli, P. et al., 1996. Experiment in the Eastern Mediterranean probes the origin of deep water masses. EOS 77 (32), 305-307.
3) Roether, W., Manca B.B., Klein B., Bregant D., Georgopoulos D., Beitzel V., Kovacevich V., Luchetta A., 1996. Recent changes in the Eastern Mediterranean deep water. Science 271, 333-335.
4) Physical Oceanography of the Eastern Mediterranean (POEM): The scientific plan for the second phase of POEM. IV POEM scientific workshop Venice, Italy, August-September 1990, UNESCO report in marine science no. 57, pp.27,1992.
*CENTRE: Istituto Nazionale di Oceanografia e di Geofisica Sperimentale - OGS, Sgonico (Trieste), Dipartimento di Oceanologia e Geofisica Ambientale.
*STORAGE-MEDIUM: Digitised data on disc mass storage.
*AVAILABILITY: Istituto Nazionale di Oceanografia e di Geofisica Sperimentale - OGS, Sgonico (Trieste). Data are available upon scientific agreement with originators, and distributed to scientific community within the EU-MEDAR/MEDATLAS II data archive.