*DATASET-NAME: CTD station data collected in the Eastern Mediterranean Sea during the P.O.E.M. program (Phase 1) from 1985 to 1990
*TIME-PERIOD: from 1985 to 1990 (Phase 1)
*GEOGRAPHIC-COVERAGE: Grid of CTD stations with a step of 1/2 degree both in longitude and in latitude, covering the following areas: Sicily Channel, Ionian Sea, Southern Adriatic and Levantine Basin. In some zones the grid step has a finer resolution.
*PROJECT: P.O.E.M., Physical Oceanography of Eastern Mediterranean, sponsored by UNESCO, IOC, CIESM, and national agencies, participating research institutions from Cyprus, Germany, Greece, Israel, Italy, Turkey, USA and former Yugoslavia.
*PARAMETERS: physical base-parameters (pressure, temperature, salinity, Secchi depth) as well as basic air-sea interface parameters.
*INSTRUMENTS: CTD Neil Brown Mark IIIB, CTD Sea-Bird, Secchi disc, reversing thermometer, reversing bottle and bench salinometer for sampling and calibration.
*SUMMARY: The CTD data was collected in the framework of a research program scheduled to reach a comprehensive knowledge of the physical, chemical and biological oceanography of the Eastern Mediterranean.
The original CTD data were controlled, analysed and worked up by the originator who holds the principal quality control responsibility. Nevertheless before the data sets have been considered as part of the pooled database it has been submitted to a pre-processing procedure and intercalibration.
The high resolution data of each station were averaged over 1 dbar pressure interval. The salinity has been computed according to the practical salinity scale of 1978. The data are stored as depth series per station, per cruise and ship (institution).
The CTD stations were occupied during 11 cruises, 5 of which internationally co-ordinated and covering different areas of the Eastern Mediterranean. The basin-wide quasi-synoptic multi-ship survey was conducted in August-September 1987. The remaining cruise are conducted by Italian Institutions covering the Adriatic, Ionian and Sicily Strait. Globally, four data sets (cruises) were collected in spring (1986, 1987, 1988, 1990), three in summer (1987, 1988, 1989) and four in autumn (1985, 1986, 1989, 1990).
The data sets comprise about 1900 vertical profiles and include data supplied by the following participating research institutions:
- Israel Oceanographic and Limnological Research, Haifa (ISRAEL)
- Institute of Marine Sciences (METU), Erdemli (TURKEY)
- National Center for Marine Research, Athens (GREECE)
- Osservatorio Geofisico Sperimentale, Trieste (ITALY)
- Istituto Ricerche Pesca Marittima, Ancona (ITALY)
- Dipartimento di Fisica dell'Universita', Roma (ITALY)
- Istituto Universitario Navale, Napoli (ITALY)
- Institute of Oceanography and Fisheries, Split (CROATIA)
- Ministry of Agriculture - Fisheries Department, Nicosia (CYPRUS)
1) Malanotte-Rizzoli, P., Robinson, A.R., 1988. POEM: Physical oceanography of the Eastern Mediterranean, EOS, Oceanogr.Rep.69 (14), 194-203.
2) Physical Oceanography of the Eastern Mediterranean: an overview and research plan. UNESCO Reports in Marine Science n. 30, 1984.
3) Physical Oceanography of the Eastern Mediterranean (POEM): A Research Programme. UNESCO Reports in Marine Science n. 35, 1985.
4) Physical Oceanography of the Eastern Mediterranean (POEM): Initial Results. UNESCO Reports in Marine Science n. 44, 1987.
5) Physical Oceanography of the Eastern Mediterranean (POEM): The intercalibrated POEM data set and the emerging picture of the circulation. UNESCO Reports in Marine Science n. 53, 1990
6) Physical Oceanography of the Eastern Mediterranean (POEM): The new phenomenology of the Eastern Mediterranean. UNESCO Reports in Marine Science n. 55, 1991
7) Robinson, A.R., Malanotte-Rizzoli P. (Eds.), 1993. Physical Oceanography of the Eastern Mediterranean. Deep-Sea Res., Part II (Special Issue), 40, 1073-1332.
*CENTRE: Istituto Nazionale di Oceanografia e di Geofisica Sperimentale - OGS, Sgonico (Trieste), Dipartimento di Oceanologia e Geofisica Ambientale.
*STORAGE-MEDIUM: Digitised data on disc mass storage.
*AVAILABILITY: Istituto Nazionale di Oceanografia e di Geofisica Sperimentale - OGS, Sgonico (Trieste). Data are public and distributed to scientific community within the EU-MAST/MODB and EU-MAST/MEDATLAS data archives.